Control Engineer, High Power Rectifiers
ABB, Saint-Laurent, CA
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
The ABB’s Process Industries (IAPI) team engineers and delivers automation solutions from device to monitoring and control, ensuring our customers get the most out of their investment. Our digitalization solutions help improve plant and enterprise productivity, while reducing maintenance and energy costs. Deep domain knowledge enables us to truly understand and address the challenges and opportunities of Industrial Automation.
Reporting to the Engineering Supervisor for the North American High Power Rectifier business, the Control Engineer defines the equipment and engineering requirements and the content to meet the customer’s defined requirements consistent with the scope of work assigned. All work to be done in accordance with company code of conduct and operational policies and procedures
- This position focuses on the control aspects, hardware and software, of high power rectifier projects but requires good overall understanding of the entire system including rectifier modules, transformers, switchgears, electrical filters, etc.
- Review, in detail, the relevant as-sold contract documentation to ensure a thorough understanding of the customer’s technical requirements. Meet and communicate with the designated project manager and customer representatives to gather data and understand the customer’s requirements.
- Develop the relevant engineering deliverables, such as, functional analysis, drawings, bill of material, electrical diagrams, application software, equipment purchase specifications, test procedures, technical descriptions and instructions, etc.
- Troubleshoot, Commission (Start-up) and Service High Power Rectifier Systems.
- Responsible for providing technical support/service to customers during the complete life cycle of the equipment.
- Engineering service may include identifying and correcting hardware/software discrepancies, on-site or via telephone, pre-sale or post-sale and project engineering
- Ensure the completion and maintenance of all required documentation, paperwork, records, in accordance with established company procedures and work processes.
- Participate on cross functional teams to ensure the continuous, on going improvement of methods, processes, productivity and quality, while reducing costs. Maintain technical competency and remain current in changes in the industry.
- Follow and comply with all safety and work rules and regulations. Practice strict compliance with all safety rules whenever working on energized electrical equipment and help enforce such safety standards with others who may be involved in work on such energized equipment.
- Ability to interpret national codes and standards, such as NEC, NEMA, ANSI, IEEE, IEC.
- The position requires successful completion of assigned projects on time and within budgetary constraints, in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Provide training to customers.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- Member of OIQ is an asset.
- 3+ years of experience with power semiconductors applications such as Thyristors, Diodes, IGBT, GTO thyristors, or IGCT experience.
- Plants architecture (medium-voltage and low-voltage switchgears, transformer, frequency converters, power cables, etc).
- Industrial PLC and communication protocols knowledge such as ABB PLC and HMI, OPC, Modbus TCP/RTU, Profibus/ProfiNET.
- Commissioning and installation experience is an advantage.
- Preferred candidates will possess knowledge/experience of primary metals and chemical industries such as aluminum, steel, copper, zinc, chlor alkali.
- Communicate effectively with customers, vendors and ABB personnel.
- Excellent proficiency in English and in French is a must. Spanish is a strong asset.
- Strong Software understanding and programming experience of control systems (PI/D Control/Calibration) (IEC 61131-3 Languages, Matlab, C, C++, VBA or Codesys)
- E3 Zuken / AutoCAD experience is an asset
- Independent and proactive thinker.
- Possess a sense of urgency/drive for results.
- Availability to travel frequently all over North America.