Engineer Mechanical Component
GE Renewable Energy Vadodara, Gujarat, India
About the job
Job Description Summary Create the world class, cost effective, high quality and reliable mechanical tender and contract designs of Large Power transformers (LPT) and Shunt Reactor (SR) based on customer specifications, international standards, in adherence with PTR Processes, Design Rules and Tools (Common Design Concept (CDC) and Common Production Concept (CPC).
Responsible for carrying out the duties of the Center of Excellent (CoE) team, including design, engineering documentation, estimating and process improvement in collaboration with Commercial, Fulfillment, Other Product CoE and Design Execution (DE) teams on design projects.
Activities contributing to the design and development of products, solutions and systems. Includes activities linked to technical improvement of existing products and components Impacts departmental operations and responsible for planning/execution. The role has some autonomy but is focused on execution of activities within an operating discipline covered by standard functional practices and procedures. Some judgment may be required but this is typically with guidance.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Understanding national and international design standards and necessary design tools.
- Ensuring components and assemblies adhere to applicable industry and business standards
- Create the models and drawings of products using specialized CAD software from Tender to Detailed Contract Design taking in account international rules and national standards, using the appropriate GE standards and tools, relying on material specifications (technical understandings, costs, procurement loop), and manufacturing capabilities
- Support Electrical Engineer by contributing Tendering Risk Assessment to identify the technical risks starting from tendering stage in coordination with her/his Team Coordinator, Lead Engineers and to seek the advice and guidance of Specialists and Experts to Engineering function, e.g. Test, Manufacturing, Procurement, etc.
- Lead the Gate Review & Design Review Meetings related to the Conceptual Mechanical Design and attend the other Gate Reviews including the manufacturing release for evaluating all designs and support to Unit Design Execution (DE) and Production teams to ensure the quality of design during production by means of necessary follow-ups, meetings etc. till certification of components or technologies
- Work together with the other CoE & DE teams of the Technology & Engineering organization and with the R&D to design, adapt and improve standard tools, rules and procedures for LPT (Large Power Transformers) and Shunt Reactor (SR) as a part of PTR Common Design Concept.
- Following non-conformance reports for her/his own projects and taking necessary corrective and preventive actions.
- Analyzing and respond to customer complaints in a coordination with her/his Team Coordinator, Lead Engineers and relevant leaders
- Participate to technical customers meetings when needed and support Commercial & Design Execution team to provide solutions to the customers in coordination with PTR experts.
- Aware of the company and local EHS policies, rules and standards. Showing exemplary behaviors on EHS. Performing the preventive/corrective actions in collaboration with EHS team to avoid the accidents, incidents and environmental damages.
- Execute the design, analysis, or evaluation of assigned projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product /program requirements. This work would include mechanical and/or electrical engineering for all products Developing in-depth knowledge of a technical discipline. Uses prior experience and acquired technical expertise to execute policy/strategy.
- In-depth understanding of key business drivers; uses this understanding to accomplish own work. In-depth understanding of how work of own team integrates with other teams and contributes to the area.
- Uses some level of judgment and has ability to propose different solutions outside of set parameters but with guidance. Uses prior experience and on-the-job training to solve straightforward tasks. Has access to technical skills and analytic thinking required to solve problems. May use multiple internal sources outside of own team to arrive at decisions. A job at this level is likely to be an individual contributor with proven
interpersonal skills or an early people leader who can hire and develop talent. Provides informal guidance to new team members if required travel to customer site to explain Design, drawings approval, also to erection sites for discussions regards to replacements transformers. Support other PTR units (international) for Tender Design and Project designs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledge of 2D & 3D Cad Software (Autodesk, AutoCAD and Inventor) (Professional experience would be a big asset)
- 7 to 12 years of experience in Electrical design of EHV & UHV Power Transformers. Experience on Microsoft office and tools.
- Knowledge and /or experience in Shunt Reactor (SR)and Special Industrial Transformer Design (SIT) knowledge would be a big asset
- Knowledge and experiences in PLM (Product Lifecycle Management), WGM (Work Group Manager) system would be a big asset.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional global organization
- Good command of MS Office tools
- Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to influence others and lead small teams. Lead initiatives of moderate scope and impact.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems. Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs. Established project management skills.
- Eager to design, dynamic, team player, good interpersonal skills.
- Commitment and desire to learn
- To need to be strong analytical thinkers who are capable of solving problems brought to them by customers (internal & external)
- Sound Knowledge of Engineering Fundamentals
- Comfortable Writing Technical Reports
- Prepare Conclusion and Analysis Reports
- Work Effectively Under time pressure in complex organizational structure
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Open & honest communication
- Customer focused in everything we do
- Quality minded
- Team oriented
- Process focused
- Ability to persevere and honor commitments
- Recognizes success
- Executes with urgency
- Effective problem identification and solution skills.
- Proven analytical and organizational ability.
- Demonstrates outstanding technical knowledge and ownership of designs.
- Demonstrates clear product knowledge including operation/maintenance.
- Noted for accuracy/thoroughness of design/technical work reviews.
- Consistently translates engineering concepts to workable solutions.
- Continually expands technical skills and knowledge.
- Experience in Special transformers would be an added advantage. Thorough understanding of Power Transformer Mechanical Design and Short circuit strength, transformer applications etc.
- Experience in 2D/3D finite element analysis/Simulation would be an added advantage.
- Team player and networking skills.
- Demonstrates passionate commitment to delivering quality products to customers.
- Ensures compliance to applicable laws and regulations governing quality, safety and product
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement both on a personal and organizational level.
- Uses quality tools and methods as appropriate
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes