AMETEK Waukegan, IL
This position will lead sustaining engineering and product customization at Powervar/Electronic Systems Protection (ESP) Business Unit (BU) (~$125M) and will be located in Waukegan, IL. Powervar is a leading global provider of advanced power quality solutions. Powervar’s transformer-based power conditioners and uninterruptible power supplies provide complete power quality solutions to the medical, industrial and retail technologies markets. ESP is in the business to help customers proactively mitigate, manage, and prevent power quality issues that negatively affect their business in the imaging and professional audio-visual markets. For over 30 years, our purpose has been to develop new and innovative approaches that improve the success of our customers and the satisfaction of their clients.
The Sustaining Engineering Manager working with a seasoned engineering team sets the direction for product customization and product introductions, value analysis/value engineering, manufacturing product and process improvements at Powervar and ESP. (S)he is responsible for all product engineering activities and ensures they are in line with product and market initiatives as set forth in the business Unit’s strategic plan. This position will report to the VP of Engineering.
- This position will be a Working Manager position responsible for managing engineering staff and will also have responsibility for their own engineering products and projects.
- Drive strategy and execution for custom product development.
- Lead and develop talented engineering teams who will execute on the technology delivery through innovative product development.
- Identify the need for and establish new processes / procedures for electronics development working with Product Development partners globally to ensure common processes are being utilized
- Identify and evaluate value analysis/value engineering projects to improve performance and costs of legacy products
- Works with manufacturing to identify root cause on product quality issues and develop 8D reports for customers
- Establish departmental and individual objectives, ensuring that they are in line with overall Division objectives and strategies.
- Builds and managers a high-performance team engaged, talented and motivated professionals to support the ongoing growth of the business and build bench-strength within the organization.
- Ensures that the engineering resources are appropriately organized and structured to deliver the BU’s objectives.
- Ensures engineering projects and activities are delivered to specification, cost effectively, accurately and on time.
- Manage all engineering projects from inception to completion.
- Create an environment that supports collaboration and enhances performance, engagement, adaptability and flexibility. Build synergy among the businesses by optimizing the resources and sharing knowledge.
- Work with Sales and Marketing to develop new product requirement documents.
- Ensure the business can identify, attract and retain engineering talent.
- Establish and track department budgets, manage internal and external resource expenditures, plan and allocate personnel resources.
- Responsible for implementation and maintenance of engineering department procedures.
- Reports on the status and progress of engineering projects
- A minimum of 10 years engineering leadership experience for a world-class, global technology organization, with at least 5 years at a management level. Bachelors or master’s degree in electrical engineering.
- Requires knowledge of modern manufacturing methods in test, assembly and fabrication areas in the power electronics industry.
- Proven leadership abilities in building highly motivated teams accustomed to achieving excellence in a fast-paced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.