Lead Electrical Substation Project Engineer
GE Renewable Energy
About the job
Job Description Summary
Own the project control activity globally and drive consistent functional specifications and common global processes for projects implementation. Activities that are conducted to better understand or ultimately meet the expectations of the customer Impacts departmental operations and responsible for planning/execution. The role has some autonomy but is focused on execution of activities within an operating discipline covered by standard functional practices and procedures. Some judgment may be required but this is typically with guidance.The job allows modification of procedures and practices covering work as long as the end results meet standards of acceptability (quality, volume, timeliness etc.).
Grid Solutions, a GE Renewable Energy business, serves customers globally with over 1 2 ,000 employees. We provide power utilities and industries worldwide with equipment, systems, and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. We are focused on addressing the challenges of the energy transition by enabling the safe and reliable connection of renewable and distributed energy resources to the grid. For more about GE’s Grid Solutions, visit https://www.gegridsolutions.com.
Why We Come To Work
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge – and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution – focused, positive approach to each one to do you r best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game – changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the green energy transition.
The electrical substation project engineer is responsible for all aspects of HV/EHV substation design including:
- Responsible for leading and coordinating all technical aspects of AC power substation projects. Must be the technical leader for assigned engineering projects including responsibilities such as: schedule development & updates, value engineering, planning & tracking project design reviews, and quality control/quality assurance. Responsible for the power single line drawing, plan and elevation drawings, general substation arrangement and layout, layouts and details for high voltage bus, cable, high voltage equipment, conduit, cable, and wiring, grounding, and control buildings
- As needed, provide oversight and reviews of deliverables in the proposal process. Responsibilities include conceptual engineering, proposal documentation including BOM, writing and/or reviewing HV technical specifications, supporting sourcing for vendor quotations, developing clarifications and exceptions as well as technical responses.
- Single point of contact for technical issues for the customer and project manager.
- Support manager in assigned team maintaining billable hours. Direct the efforts of engineers and designers, coordinating with sourcing and the project team on technical matters to meet project specifications, cost control, and schedule objectives. Includes writing HV equipment specifications and contractor work scopes, request vendor quotations, evaluate quotations, vendor quotation evaluations for substation equipment including high voltage circuit breakers, switchgear, disconnects, high voltage power transformers, high voltage cable, and protection and control systems interface with customers and project team members and final commissioning. Will be accountable for team results in order to deliver a high quality product to customer CTQ’s on time and on or under budget.
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years experience in industrial or utility HV & EHV substation design or MSEE (power) with 3 years engineering experience in industrial or utility HV/EHV substation design
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time, both domestic and international for meetings, troubleshooting, and on-site commissioning tests for customer installations. You must comply with all relevant GE company travel and tax policies
- Working knowledge of applicable design calculations such as battery sizing & DC system component selection, power transformer and circuit breaker selection, circuit protection, control and power cable (and bus) selection and rating, bus, fittings, insulator, and arrector selection, ground grid design, and lightning protection. Able to work independently.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills. Fluent in English. Ability to work in a team environment. The Project Engineer must be creative, able to lead a team, and be accountable for team results in order to deliver a high quality product on time and under budget.
- Must be able and willing to get Professional Engineering license in the U.S., and to use their license as part of their work
- Professional Engineering registration (within the U.S.) strongly desired
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Transmission & Distribution substation engineering for utilities and renewable energy power plants and projects experience as an Electrical Project Engineer in substation type applications, including primary (outdoor) substation design and required calculations.
- Knowledge of and experience using IEEE & ANSI standards and codes such as the NEC and NESC. Moreover, ability to engineer design packages when no clear customer specification is provided.
- Field-testing and commissioning experience with safe work habits. Demonstrated electrical and mechanical troubleshooting capability.
- Good presence in front of the customer with demonstrated commercial experience such as Project Management
- Excellent personal computer skills, including programming and design automation, and familiarity with AutoCAD/Microstation strongly desired.