Mechanical Engineering Manager
About the job
Hitachi ABB Power Grids is a pioneering technology leader that is helping to increase access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all. We help to power your home, keep the factories running, and our hospitals and schools open. Come as you are and prepare to get better as you learn from others. Bring your passion, bring your energy, and plug into a team that appreciates a simple truth: Diversity + Collaboration = Great Innovation
Hitachi ABB Power Grids Transformers (PGTR) are a global leader in technology, and the largest supplier of transformers in the world. We are pioneering the digitalization of transformers, while working on the frontier of renewable energy and ultra-high voltage AC & DC applications. The Transformers (PGTR) business segment is a global technology leader and the world’s largest transformer supplier. We are pioneers in digital transformer technologies, working at the frontier of renewable energy and ultra-high voltage AC and DC applications. Design Engineering encompasses the design and analysis of parts, components, assemblies, subassemblies, and systems, and the production of associated drawings and instructions. Reporting to the Factory Manager, the Engineering Manager will manage either directly or through subordinate supervisors, physical resources, and engineers engaged in technically specialized phases of activities involving one or more engineering disciplines.
- Lead the responsibilities of the mechanical engineering team (15 employees) on projects, future developments, and customers while managing a wide range of complex technical investigations and analysis.
- Oversee finalization of proposals and present them, with accompanying recommendations, to executives and customers.
- Seek, develop and implement initiatives to cost-effectively achieve goals and ensure utmost customer satisfaction.
- Promote and enable professional and technical development of staff.
- Plan, schedule, assign work, establish priorities, control expenditures, and take appropriate measures to ensure work is completed on schedule and within cost estimates.
- Manage the most efficient distribution and utilization of resources in response to fluctuating workloads, changing priorities, and unforeseen problems.
- Manage local and multi-country engineering teams to provide fast and efficient engineering support.
- Promote independent actions to improve operating efficiencies and customer relations.
- Provide complex technical and business advice on issues of significant importance to other departments, business units, executives, and customers, involving such factors as contract performance guarantees, development projects, advanced technology studies and tests, specifications, financial, and other business considerations. The resulting decisions may have a significant impact on future engineering and business development efforts.
- Conduct negotiations with customers involving such issues as costs, schedules, and modifications, and inform them of developments that have the potential for optimizing their operations.
- Provide leadership and, as necessary, resolve major conflicts between engineers and customers, to reach mutual satisfaction and agreement and protect the Company’s interests.
- Lead and support improvement and cost reduction initiatives as required.
- Mechanical engineering degree coupled with at least 10 years of experience.
- Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal leadership
- Strong organizational skills, managing multiple priorities
- Bilingualism (French, English)
- Results oriented, managerial courage and strong problem-solving skills