Power and Controls Engineer
Tate & Lyle Lafayette, IN, USA
About the job
Tate & Lyle is a global provider of ingredients and solutions to the food, beverage and other industries, operating from more than 30 locations around the world. Through large scale, efficient manufacturing plants, Tate & Lyle turns raw materials into distinctive, high quality ingredients. These ingredients and solutions add taste, texture, nutrition and increased functionality to products that millions of people around the world use or consume every day. We are the secret ingredient to Make Food Extraordinary in some of the world’s best loved brands. Could you be ours?
This position will take a lead role in the design, installation, operation, and maintenance of plant process control and power distribution systems.
Safety Accountabilities – EHS Critical Role Level 2
Protecting our people and the environment is foundational to our business
Level 2-Key Role –
- Drive EHS Excellence Culture and Improvements for the Lafayette, South Plant
- Focus on EHS systems, policies, and procedures and their effects on day to day operations.
- Audit and review EHS effectiveness in the plant.
Each team member is expected to support the Tate & Lyle culture where Environment, Health and Safety are the overriding values in all activities. Every team member is accountable for working safely and complying with all EHS policies, procedures and regulations relevant to their work and is expected to speak up and intervene to prevent unsafe conditions and to respect fellow workers and the communities in which we work. Included in this is abidance with our Life Saving Principles (LSPs) and our STOP WORK AUTHORITY which are developed to strengthen our workplace safety, prevent serious injury or loss of life.
As a member of the Engineering Team incumbent shares overall responsibility for:
- Leading, modelling, and area accountability of adherence to global / local EHS Policy and Procedures
- Setting objectives and targets for EHS performance and improvement
- Assigning responsibility and authority for EHS implementation activities
- Providing the adequate resources needed to implement the policy
- Ensuring knowledge and skills are developed to effectively apply the EHS systems and standards
- Reviewing the EHS system to ensure its continuing suitability, adequacy, effectiveness
- Actively communicating leadership and commitment that is visible to the organization
- Responsible for the design, installation, operation, and maintenance of the plant process control systems and power distribution systems
- Serve as plant electrical safety advisor and expert
- Manage area power and controls resources and contractor support teams
- Provide/manage support for plant network infrastructure
- Develop the technical skills of others outside the electrical discipline
- Manage electrical and instrumentation technical specifications, standards, and guidelines
- Direct and maintain plant electrical and instrumentation documentation
- Cooperatively work with engineering teams to plan, develop, support, and implement capital and sustaining projects to improve safety, reduce costs, improve quality, reduce environmental impacts and increase capacity
- Manage overall electrical and instrumentation contractor deployment and manpower
- Provide low and medium voltage preventative maintenance oversight and enhancement
- Monitor plant power systems for issues and problems
- Drive corrective actions from predictive maintenance testing of the plant electrical systems
- Direct planned plant outages required for major electrical and control system upgrades
- Direct work for process opportunities and plant outages required for major electrical and control system upgrades
- Provide emergency support for the plant’s 24/7/365 operations
FES Duty Of Care
- Carry out responsibilities/duties according to food safety, legal and quality requirements so as to ensure that our products are fit for human consumption.
- Comply with all environmental standards, procedures and work instructions at all times.
- Report any environmental violations or near misses in order to prevent any impact upon the local environment, its inhabitants and Tate & Lyle.
Health & Safety
- Adhere to the safety policies, procedures and site rules.
- Fully participate in the safety programme, including reporting any incidents or near misses and auditing.
- The incumbent will be measured against site EHS, Quality, Production, Reliability and Leadership goals.
Skills And Experience Required
- BS in Electrical Engineering and 5+ years’ experience
- Experience with 120V/480V/4160V/15kV power distribution design, installation, and maintenance
- Knowledge of power distribution system protection including–but not limited to–short circuit and arc flash analysis, SKM modelling, and relay applications/programming
- Ability to understand and implement multiple layers of reliability and predictive maintenance testing including but not limited to transformer oil testing, infrared scans, partial discharge testing, and ultrasound monitoring
- Experience with motor control system design and installation
- Experience with specifying instrumentation and electrical equipment
- Ability to understand IT and control system networking fundamentals and interface between corporate IT group and local resources for managing IT standards and infrastructure
- Experience with supporting and/or managing large capital projects that require electrical and instrumentation construction
- Working understanding of NFPA and NEC regulations
- Effective consultant for electrical as well as non-controls technical staff
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and able to take ownership of control systems without supervision
- Positive, interactive engagement at all organizational levels
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Possess integrity, respect, safety, and initiative as core values
- Knowledge of process control system designs and installations including PLC and DCS applications
- Familiarity with co-generation, generator performance, and controls
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Successful candidates must pass a pre-employment
physical and drug test.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; work from heights, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability see color and adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions on site. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The position regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust. In addition this job also operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Tate & Lyle will base all of its employment decisions on job-related standards and its commitment to equal employment opportunity (EEO). Tate & Lyle will ensure that promotion decisions are made in accordance with the principles of EEO by imposing only valid requirements for promotional opportunities. Tate & Lyle will also ensure that all other human resource matters such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, return from layoff, company-sponsored training, education, and social and recreational programs are administered without regard to an employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, disability, age, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
The successful attainment of equal employment opportunity requires the maximum cooperation of all employees. All managers and supervisors are responsible for implementing and enforcing this Policy. In addition, all other employees are expected to perform their job responsibilities in a manner that supports equal employment opportunity for all.
Please note, this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)
The Company is committed to complying with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and all data privacy and laws in the jurisdictions in which it recruits and hires employees. We collect the following categories of personal information for the purpose of hiring the best qualified applicants and to comply with applicable employment laws: Name and contact information; Job preference and work availability; Social Security Number and/or other identification information; Education and qualifications; Employment history and experience; Military service; Reference and background check information, including relevant criminal history and credit history; Social media information; Pre-employment test results; Post-offer medical examination information and results, including drug test results; Voluntary self-disclosure information regarding minority, veteran, and disability status; and Information provided by you during the hiring process.
Tate & Lyle is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of an inclusive workforce.