Project Manager, East – Field Service
Delta Star Inc. St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC, Canada
About the job
Delta Star is an employee-focused organization that is fully committed to providing an exceptional customer experience. We are the substation leader in North America providing superior, innovative client solutions that meet the energy needs of the future. Come join our team today and see why Delta Star has been the choice for power companies around the world for over 110 years and counting.
In addition to the products we manufacture and sell globally, Delta Star’s standalone Field Service Business Unit is a national organization that provides one of the most comprehensive transformer service portfolios in the industry. Our field experts can service any type of Power Transformer, whether it be in substations, industrial or nuclear plants, hospitals, residential areas, and/or in underground vaults. Our Field Service organization has the capability to install, maintain, retrofit, relocate, and/or upgrade any Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) transformer brand from ratings of 480V up through 800kV.
The Project Manager (PM) will administer and manage all execution and operations activities for their respective region (Eastern Canada). The PM will be directly responsible for working with the Field Service Management team to assign resources and ensure field employees and equipment remain utilized. In addition, the PM will work with the coordinators to ensure scheduling, project management, execution, safety, quality, and customer satisfaction are all executed at a defined standard of excellence. The PM has daily interface with our field technicians, external customers, salesforce, regional and general management, and is a true collaborator representing our Field Service Business by bringing multiple parties together through effective communication and stellar customer focus.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Requires thorough knowledge of field service operations in the transformer/substation industry. Ability to act as the competent and knowledgeable on-site representative/technician/engineer providing technical assistance on installation and repair sites as required, including performing hands-on assembly and repairs of substation and service equipment when necessary.
- Provides forecasts, approves project costs or timesheets under the direction and support of manager.
- Monthly tracking and reporting on major Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Responsible for project execution, work scope compliance and adherence, customer satisfaction, and financial accountability for field service projects located throughout the assigned region.
- Coordinates activities and provides timely and accurate updates to project participants.
- Determines project needs through specification review and pre-planning meetings with manager or other team members. Identifies equipment and resources needed and takes appropriate actions to staff the project accordingly.
- Initiates purchase requisitions for procurement of material or equipment as required.
- Tracks actual jobs costs versus the quoted estimate and seeks ways to gain improvements, while not sacrificing quality or safety.
- Maintains close contact and relationships with customers and continually seeks ways to identify and close more business.
- Reviews daily project reports and modifies plans accordingly in order to keep the project on tack, while considering upcoming projects and/or unknown potential variables. Anticipates a problem and has a solution prepared in the event it occurs.
- Ensures timely completion of contract close out through reports submittal, invoicing, and supporting cash collection as necessary.
- Constantly has a risk adverse mindset in order to mitigate or avoid project risks, attempting to avoid unfavorable penalties or delays through detailed planning. Seeks methods that do not negatively impact the financial statement of the subject project.
- Creates change orders and applies appropriate mark-ups and/or prepares quotations where needed.
- Supports the resolution of potential payment disputes by providing proper documentation in a timely manner
- Directly handles the majority of execution activities, under the direction of management, including but not limited to: customer specification review, work scope development, technical quotation review, order entry, job trip pack development, scheduling, coordination, material procurement, resource scheduling and allocation, preparing detail work instructions, safety surveys, change order creation and submittal, report review and submittal, invoicing, cash collection, and project close out.
- Works directly with regional or national salesforce with business development activities supporting sales calls, in-person sales calls, key account or alliance strategy development, assisting with quotation development when needed, presenting technical or sales presentations, and/or through presence at industry events.
- Supervising work sites and completing and signing reports and pre-operational verification as an OIQ engineer.
- DOT and OSHA regulations basic understanding required. Training or knowledge of Canadian electrical codes and standards required. Additionally, knowledge in NFPA70E, ANSI, IEC, IEEE, NETA standards, or other substation training/certifications is a plus.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the T&D industry inspecting, testing, repairing, and verifying substation equipment required.
- Member of the Ordre des ingénieurs de Québec (OIQ), this is a requirement.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Solid customer focus and strong relationship building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and analytical skills. Must be bilingual in both English and French.
- Must have a positive attitude, willing to help in any area mentality, and the desire to learn new skills.
- Willingness to travel and work overtime based on customer/market demand. Travel intervals could be up to 3-weeks in duration.
- Work location is at Delta Star’s Quebec, Canada transformer manufacturing facility.
- Support industry events and Delta Star events as required to support and grow the business.