Protection Systems Engineer
Enel North America
About the job
Who We Are
Enel is a globally recognized leader in sustainable energy and is consistently named one of Fortune Magazine’s “Companies that are Changing the World.” It is also one of the largest and most trusted energy companies in the world, serving around 70 million customers in more than 30 countries across 5 continents. The Enel Group vision is about Open Power. Open Power means opening energy access to more people; opening the world of energy to new technologies; opening new ways for people to manage energy; opening new uses of energy; and opening more partnerships. These are ambitious goals and we are pursuing them with the passion of more than 65,000 people whose brilliant work is based on our values of Responsibility, Innovation, Trust and Proactivity. At Enel North America, our businesses are leading the energy transition, creating the sustainable energy solutions of the future to help individuals, businesses and communities change energy into lasting value.
This position is responsible for health, maintenance, calibration and regulatory compliance of Medium and High Voltage (MV/HV) equipment associated with the Enel Green Power North America, Inc (EGPNA) fleet of Geothermal, Solar and Battery Storage projects. This position supports the Operations and Maintenance teams by providing recommendations, maintenance strategies, and training of EGPNA personnel to maintain high reliability and regulatory compliance of assets.
What You’ll Do At Enel
- Create technical documentation, specifications, procedures and troubleshooting support for the department project portfolio based on technical knowledge and interaction with local and international colleagues.
- Coordinate with EGP NERC compliance, planning and site management to ensure plants comply with State and Federal regulations (NERC, ERCOT, ISO’s, TSO’s, etc.) regarding required design criteria, inspections, testing, maintenance, calibrations etc.
- Review new and existing relay protection settings and coordination studies, to ensure maximum human and asset safety, as well as regulatory compliance.
- Coordinate with business development, engineering design units, construction, and O&M teams in the development of new projects, with an effort to minimize risk, life cycle cost, and to maintain regulatory requirements of new projects.
- Facilitate and participate in FMEA’s and similar activities for all new Solar and BESS projects, and as requested by other units within the Geo/Solar O&M team.
- Provide support to Solar/BESS Execution and Planning teams for the development of Maintenance Plans as required
- Propose and develop improvement plans to address systemic problems and improve overall performance of the operating equipment (improvements and/or modifications).
- Recommend new maintenance procedures based upon new and existing regulatory requirements, industry best practice, and new technologies.
- Interface with Purchasing Specialists in support of any procurement actions, as required, to support improvement projects.
- Provide support in developing Root Cause Analysis (RCA) for pertinent failures associated with Solar and Battery Storage generating equipment.
- Attend training for condition monitoring technologies as required.
- Provide training to plant personnel on condition monitoring and reliability-based maintenance as required.
- Interface with CMR and NERC Compliance teams on Plant Operations and Maintenance activities as required.
- Provide additional support to other Enel business units as directed by Manager.
What You’ve Accomplished
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering Education or equivalent.
Five (5) to seven (7) years’ relevant technical experience in medium and high voltage electrical systems and substation maintenance.
A master’s degree in electrical engineering with an emphasis on transmission and distribution systems is desirable.
A strong personal drive and interest in reliability and continual process improvement.
Superior knowledge of Medium and High Voltage three phase power systems, AC and DC power systems, electrical protection systems (relays, breakers, switches, etc.), instrumentation, and digital control systems is required.
- Specialized knowledge in cable, transformer, and substation maintenance and testing, power quality studies is required.
- Previous experience with NERC standards and associated maintenance activities is required.
- Knowledge of time and frequency domain analysis, electrical signature analysis, power quality studies, airborne and mechanical ultrasound, thermography, dissolved gas analysis, and other condition monitoring technologies is considered a plus.
- Excellent computer skills with experience on the MS suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Project.
- Experience utilizing C++, MATLAB, LabVIEW, Python, or similar programming languages preferred.
- Certifications in reliability-based maintenance and/or asset management (CMRP, CRL, CAMA, etc.) preferred.
- CMRP (certified maintenance and reliability professional) certification is required withing the first year of employment.
- High analytical, quantitative and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work autonomously and effectively with periods of limited direct supervision.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and cooperate effectively with multidisciplinary and multinational teams.
- A valid driver’s license operable in all 50 states and Canada.
Up to 25% of domestic travel
What Enel Offers You
- A rapidly growing yet well-established business,
- Ability to work with employees from many different cultures and backgrounds.,
- Benefits and rewards that support the life and well-being of you and your family.,
- One of the world’s most recognizable and respected brands in the energy industry that believes by working together we can create a new energy era in which the world can become more sustainable.,
- Opportunity to grow and develop your career with the support and mentorship of senior leaders.,
- Various forms of flexibility to help you integrate your life with your professional commitments.
Notice to Recruiters & Staffing Agencies
Enel North America has an internal talent acquisition department and designated career site for individuals looking to join our team. Enel North America will not accept unsolicited resumes from any external recruiters, staffing firms, search agencies or any fee-based referrals. Any unsolicited resumes sent to directly to Enel North America, in any capacity will be considered property of Enel North America. This policy is applicable to all Enel North America locations and will be the responsibility of third parties and vendors to understand this policy. Enel North America will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.