Senior Electrical Engineer
Southwest Electric Co.
About the job
Southwest Electric Co. is looking for a Sr. Electrical Engineer to take the lead on complex projects and orders as assigned by the Engineering Manager. The ideal Candidate will provide engineering designs, bill of materials (BOM), and instructions for the construction of customer specified specialty transformers and successful fulfilment of technical requirements. Also provide technical support and direction for mechanical and electrical drawings related to controls and equipment installed on specialty transformers.
- Perform various engineering tasks involving such functions as analysis, design, development, test, installation, and service work specific to specialty transformers to include phase shifting, step-up and isolation transformers used in conjunction with VFD applications.
- Review customers’ specifications and electrical/mechanical drawings to interpret and determine requirements with respect to manufacturing.
- Ability to apply engineering studies as required for, and in conjunction with, providing specialty transformers, to include Coordination Studies and Arc Flash Studies.
- Review electrical control wiring diagrams and/or one-line diagrams to interpret and determine the necessary changes required to meet the customer’s specifications.
- Manage projects/customer jobs and generate Bills of Materials, to include specifications for purchase of materials.
- Analyze test data and provide diagnostic solutions, this may involve preparing test reports for customers.
- Able to apply power systems studies and power quality analysis using analysis software.
- Develop test plans and P&C schemes.
- Provide technical support for shop floor personnel on manufacturing/wiring-related issues.
- Lead investigations of technical problems and efforts to establish new procedures and corrective actions, to include quality improvement projects supporting quality and productivity goals.
- Provided input to various personnel developing quotations and provide guidance and recommendations.
- Minimum 4-year BS degree in Electrical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering Technology, from an accredited university or college.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience within the industry.
- Demonstrated expertise with the design of transformers or similar electrical equipment.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency interpreting electrical schematics and physical wiring diagrams.
- Demonstrated skills in applying engineering calculations and design principles to determine the electrical, physical, and structural strengths and attributes of large electrical and mechanical components and/or assemblies.
- Demonstrated experience applying and/or performing Power Systems Studies using analysis software.
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree or MBA.
- Professional Engineer (PE) licensure (in any state)
- Proficiency with transformer modeling software and analysis.
- Background in hands-on development including electrical and mechanical systems, software, and product reliability testing.
- Experience with regulatory, vendor and customer management.