Senior Power System Protection Engineer – Substation (Multiple Locations)
Burns & McDonnell Morristown, NJ
About the job
Responsible for leading or executing power system protection and control engineering projects. Projects range in size, complexity, and voltage class from small distribution equipment upgrades to large transmission projects. This position can influence the future of the resiliency, reliability and economic operation of the electric grid. Opportunities to advance into leadership/management roles are available.
Position May Include The Following Assignments
– Executes complex assignments requiring the use of advanced electrical engineering techniques, resulting in the development of new or improved processes, equipment, and/or technological methods.
– Develop and evaluate plans for major projects. Assess feasibility or soundness of proposed applications when data is insufficient or testing is advisable.
– Coordinate departmental or divisional project studies, reports, or project design assignments.-
– Responsible for performing power system studies and system protection settings coordination on various projects (up to 500-kV voltage level) including short circuit calculation, current transformer performance and ratio selection, over-current element coordination, zone-distance element selection and coordination, and relay loadability calculation.
– Apply industry standards for the protection of system equipment, including power busses, power transformers, HV/MV circuit breakers, capacitor banks, reactors, transmission lines, and distribution feeders
– Develop design basis documentation for protective settings and generate native relay configuration files using SEL’s AcSELerator, GE’s Enervista software programs and other applicable software programs.
– Power systems modeling and protective relay coordination analysis using ASPEN OneLiner or Electrocon CAPE software
– Provide technical guidance to the project team, conduct design reviews, and support quality control.
– Act as primary contact for both internal and external client-side communication.
– Provide engineering support with construction and commissioning activities for substations.
– Lead multiple engineering teams on engineering design and scope for multiple projects.
– Assist project manager to develop scope of work and conceptual design for the projects.
– Train, guide, and mentor lower level engineers.
– Support business development and marketing initiatives
– Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or a directly related field plus seven (7) years of experience in electrical systems studies in the electric utility or industrial power distribution industry. Master of Science degree in electrical engineering may be substituted for one (1) year experience.
– A Professional Engineer licensure is strongly preferred
– Understanding of Protection and Control system design for substation applications and automation (69kV – 500kV), one-lines, three-lines, AC/DC schematics, control panel layouts, bill of materials, and protection specifications
– Ability to work methodically and analytically in a dynamic, quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
– Knowledge of FERC and NERC requirements as they pertain to electric utility reliability requirements is a plus
– Knowledge of IEC61850 and its implementation is a plus
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
– Strong computer skills (e.g. SEL’s AcSELerator, GE’s Enervista software programs and other applicable device setting software programs, Microsoft Office Suite)
$150,000 – $225,000
The expected compensation range for this position is displayed in compliance with all local/state regulations. The expected compensation range for this position is based on a number of factors, including but not limited to: individual education, qualifications, prior work experience and work location. The total annual compensation package will consist of a base salary and eligibility to participate in our discretionary year-end incentive bonus program.
Our extensive benefits package takes care of you so that you can focus on doing great work. From insurance and disability to time off and wellness programs, we provide the tools to meet your needs. As part of being 100% employeeowned, eligible employees participate in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) in addition to our 401(k) retirement program. For more information, please visit the Benefits & Wellness page.
Job Electrical Engineering
Primary Location US-NJ-Morristown
Other Locations US-ME-Portland, US-PA-Conshohocken
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time