Sr. Electrical Substation Project Engineer – Technical Interface
GE Renewable Energy
About the job
Job Description Summary
The Senior Project Engineer is an established leader in their respective engineering team. You will drive business strategy through detailed technical and economic understanding of the marketplace and takes the initiative to drive business leaders to provide customers with the best solutions that positively impact business. The Senior Project Engineer will also serve as technical mentor resolving conflicts and certifying finished engineering products as proper and correct. Job Description
Grid Solutions, a GE Renewable Energy business, serves customers globally with over 12,000 employees. We provide power utilities and industries worldwide with equipment, systems, and services to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. We are focused on addressing the challenges of the energy transition by enabling the safe and reliable connection of renewable and distributed energy resources to the grid. For more about GE’s Grid Solutions, visit https://www.gegridsolutions.com.
Why We Come To Work
At GE Renewable Energy, our engineers are always up for the challenge -and we’re always driven to find the best solution. Our projects are unique and interesting, and you’ll need to bring a solution-focused, positive approach to each one to do your best. Surrounded by committed, loyal colleagues, if you can dare to bring your ingenuity and desire to make an impact, you’ll be exposed to game-changing, diverse projects that truly allow you to play your part in the green energy transition.
The electrical substation project engineer is responsible for all aspects of HV/EHV substation design including:
- Responsible for leading and coordinating all technical aspects of AC power substation projects. Must be the technical leader for assigned engineering projects including responsibilities such as: schedule development & updates, value engineering, planning & tracking project design reviews, and quality control/quality assurance. The project engineer may support proposals and estimating. The sr. project engineer is responsible for the coordinated output of the design team including single line drawings and schematics, plan and elevation drawings, general substation arrangement and layout, relay protection and control requirements, civil drawings, related calculations and studies, and layouts for high voltage bus, cable, high voltage equipment, conduit, cable, and wiring, grounding, and control buildings.
- Single point of contact for technical issues for the customer and project manager
- The senior project engineer directs the efforts of engineers and designers, coordinating with sourcing and the project team on technical matters to meet project specifications, cost control (including hours budget), and schedule objectives. The project engineer’s responsibilities include writing HV equipment specifications and contractor work scopes, requesting vendor quotations, and vendor quotation evaluations for substation equipment including high voltage circuit breakers, switchgear, disconnects, high voltage power transformers, high voltage cable, and protection and control systems interface with customers and project team members and final commissioning. The project engineer will be accountable for team results to deliver a technically accurate high-quality product to customer CTQ’s on time and on or under budget.
As a Technical Interface Lead (Lead Interface Coordinator on a large EPC project), the senior project engineer is responsible for:
- Identifying and resolving all interfaces between GE, our Customer, and our Customer’s other contractors in a proactive and timely manner. The coordinator must develop and maintain a project Interface Management Procedure which includes interface requests, interface document register, and an interface responsibility matrix. He or She must conduct regular interface meetings, maintain interface agreements, and establish interface matrixes with the different interface parties, to agree and define battery limits.
- The coordinator must identify and close gaps between interface parties, handle interface issues, and exchange the necessary information required to perform engineering of the interfaces with Customer’s other contractors. The coordinator must maintain and an interface register addressing issues related to interfaces.
- The coordinator shall establish a document list defining all interface documents and plans for issue. The coordinator must also agree on an interface schedule with need-dates for information with the interfacing parties.
- The coordinator oversees GE’s interface work and is solely responsible for coordination and interface between GE, its Affiliates and Subcontractors and their contractors.
- The coordinator interfaces with Customer’s other contractors including the offshore wind turbine gen supply contractor, onshore substation contractors, submarine export cables contractors, inter array cables suppliers, etc.
- The coordinator will provide a monthly interface management report to the Customer:
- Interface management status towards interfacing parties
- Interface register
- Focus areas and any corrective actions
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited university or college
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in industrial, renewable, or utility HV & EHV electrical substation design
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time, both domestic and international for meetings, troubleshooting, and on-site commissioning tests for customer installations. You must comply with all relevant GE company travel and tax policies
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment. The Sr. Project Engineer must be creative, able to lead a team and be accountable for team results to deliver a high-quality product on time and under budget.
- Preferred GE office location is Oakbrook Terrace, IL. Other GE offices may be considered.
- Professional Engineering License (within the United States), and willingness to serve as the responsible engineer
- Excellent computer skills, including automation tools and software development, and familiarity with CAD software (AutoCAD / Microstation) and/or 3D CAD packages with BIM
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in T&D substation / power delivery systems engineering and projects experience as Project Engineer in utility substation type applications, including EPC large projects.
- Working knowledge of applicable design calculations such as battery sizing & DC system component selection, power transformer and circuit breaker selection, circuit protection, control and power cable selection and rating, bus, fittings, insulator, and arrector selection, ground grid design, and lightning protection
- Knowledge of power system studies such a load flows, short circuit calculations, and insulation coordination.
- Experience with GIS substation projects, as well as AIS, wind power plants, and off-shore substation design
- Knowledge of and experience using IEEE and ANSI standards and codes such as the NEC and NESC. Moreover, the ability to engineer design packages when no clear customer specification is provided.
- Field testing and commissioning experience
- Demonstrated electrical and mechanical troubleshooting capability
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).