Sr. Transformer Design Engineer
About the job
Title: Sr. TX Design Engineer
Reports to: Director, Engineering
Department: Electrical Engineering
Summary – Job Responsibilities – Activities:
Design specialty power transformers and related magnetic components up to 50MVA, 69 kV including rectifier duty transformers 100kAdc. Perform overall transformer design calculations and detailed coil and insulation design.
- Member of team designing high capacity power and distribution transformers (up to 50MVA, 69 kV to be used for rectifier loads up to 100kAdc.) to IEEE and IEC specifications.
- Design oil-filled and dry-type transformers and magnetics as needed.
- Perform overall transformer design calculations and detailed coil and insulation design.
- Perform cooling calculations and select cooling components and other major components and accessories as needed.
- Create bills of materials.
- Assist/support mechanical design done by the Mechanical Department including core design, core/coil construction, overall tank lay-out and clearances, cable routing, etc.
- Provide technical support as needed to the Production and Test Departments in the shop
- Provide test results, required tests in advance, and review final test data to evaluate designs.
- Assist a department-wide effort to create engineering design guides and manuals.
- Assist in developing standard tools, rules, and guides to improve efficiency and consistency in our designs.
- Train others as required by your manager.
- Utilize test data and production feedback to aid in cost reduction efforts and the development of tools and rules as mentioned above
- Tasks as required by your supervisor
Education – Experience
- BS in electrical engineering or Electro Mechanical Engineering and 5 years of experience as a Transformer Designer including work in oil-filled power transformer design)
- Must have experience in oil-filled power transformers design, including High-current bus bar, Regulating and multi-tap transformers,
- Winding construction and insulation system designs
- Dry-type transformer experience is a plus
- Rectifier duty and harmonics design experience is a plus
Required Skills, Competencies, Authorities And Training Needs
- Proficiency with MS Excel is required. Andersen short-circuit/leakage field software are a plus.
At Neeltran we are uniquely positioned because we are one of the few companies in the world that designs and manufactures its own rectifier transformers and dc rectifiers in the same facility under one management team. This unique capability allows for combined Full Current and Full Voltage factory testing of the transformer and rectifier in their actual configuration prior to shipment.An experienced client requires combined testing to eliminate integration problems at the site and to assure the shortest commissioning time. This results in significant cost savings and produces the highest quality units. Most other Power Electronic System integrators purchase the Transformer from the least expensive sub-contractor, or they manufacture key system components in different geographic locations which operate under different management objectives.Our power conversion products and customer service are the best in the industry. Being that Neeltran designs and builds its rectifiers and transformers you do not have to deal with a 3rd party for service. Custom power systems manufacturing and engineering is what we do. Neeltran is ISO-9001-2015 certified.We service our clients from installation to end of life of product, nobody beats our service as we are on call for our customers and service many types of rectifier systems (including other brands).With Neeltran, your firm will gain access to our 45 plus years of proven Power Electronic experience, the latest technology and professionals who are enjoying world-wide recognition in this field. We offer a variety of types of rectifier products. We would welcome an opportunity to work with you on your next project!