Substation Trainee – 90367643 – Long Island City, NY
About the job
Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
Summary Of Duties
Construct, install, test and maintain substation switching apparatus, control cables and associated batteries. Operates substation and take power clearances.
- Must pass satisfactory examinations in accordance with Electric Traction Training Agreement.
- Must maintain 80% average (exception- hiring at class “A” status).
- Must have prior satisfactory work attendance record, work performance, and safety record.
- Must read, write, and speak the English language clearly, with the ability to communicate using telephones and radios.
- Will be placed in a training program and must excel through all stages of training.
- The ability to respond to railroad concerns on a 24-hour basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Basic electrical theory, knowledge coupled with the desire and ability to learn.
- Must have a current valid driver’s license at hiring or transfer. License must be maintained throughout employment.
- Must be able to understand, speak, and write the English language fluently.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs or more.
Preferred Qualifications & Work Environment
- Experience as an electrician with High voltage electrical systems and safety procedures.
- knowledge of electrical components and use of various electrical testing devices.
- Journeyman electrical license
- Formal electrical training
Communication And Interpersonal Skills
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
The hourly rate is $36.96 – $41.07 (with opportunity for increases, as per the applicable collective bargaining agreement, after beginning employment). Amtrak offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes health, dental, and vision plans; wellness programs; flexible spending accounts; 401k retirement plan; life insurance; paid time off; reimbursement of education; Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility; Railroad Retirement sickness and retirement benefits; and rail pass privileges. Some benefits are subject to the collective bargaining agreement. Learn more about our benefits offerings here .
Posting Location(s):New York
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
You power our progress through your performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job. We want your career at Amtrak to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging work, rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, and attractive compensation. Amtrak maintains a culture that values high performance and recognizes individual employee contributions.
Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol. All Amtrak positions requires a pre-employment background check that includes prior employment verification, a criminal history check and a pre-employment drug screen. Candidates who test positive for marijuana will be disqualified, regardless of any state or local statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Amtrak’s pre-employment drug testing program is administered in accordance with DOT regulations and applicable law.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR
- 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
In accordance with federal law governing security checks of covered individuals for providers of public transportation (Title 6 U.S.C.
- 1143), Amtrak is required to screen applicants for any permanent or interim disqualifying criminal offenses.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.