Transformer Subject Matter Expert Engineer
About the job
Talent Gateway Posting Details
At Alliant Energy, our Purpose is to serve customers and build stronger communities. Use your Energy, passion, and creativity to support our corporate functions.
Bring YOUR energy to Alliant Energy!
If you enjoy challenges, have strong communication skills and are passionate about the work you do we invite you to consider Alliant Energy.
What sets us apart?
- Alliant Energy offers a full compensation package. Benefits include Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Health and Day Care Savings Accounts, Paid Vacation, 401K, Employer Cash Contribution, Long and Short-Term Disability, Tuition reimbursement, and Adoption assistance.
- Year after year, Alliant Energy is recognized by major publications and foundations as a top employer and leader in the areas of equity and sustainability. This includes Newsweek’s list of Most Responsible Companies, Forbes list of Best Midsize Employers, a perfect Corporate Equality Index Score as a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality and being named to the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index.
- Our employees make a difference through their work and personal activities. In 2021, employees, retirees and our charitable foundation collectively contributed $11.5 million and volunteered over 75,000 hours.
Alliant Energy has an outstanding opportunity for an Engineer II, Engineer III or Senior Engineer, depending on the candidate qualifications. The position reporting location can be in either Iowa or Wisconsin. This position will focus as a Power Transformer Subject Matter Expert (SME).
This position is responsible for providing technical support and guidance to the Energy Delivery and Generation Engineers and Managers, as well as field staff for issues associated with transformers, regulators, instrument transformers, and ancillary components (bushings, load tap changers, cooling systems, etc). This support includes generation, substation and mobile equipment. This support may be provided during maintenance, commissioning, or while equipment is in operation.
The Transformer SME serves as a conduit between Alliant Energy and external supporting vendors, manufacturers and contractors to provide expertise for commissioning and operational issues associated with transformers, regulators, and other associated ancillary components.
This role also offers the flexibility to work from home, on a remote hybrid basis and will travel in the Iowa or Wisconsin territories on average one to two days per week. The successful candidate must reside in Iowa or Wisconsin.
Alliant Energy does not provide sponsorship for an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa) now or in the future for this position.
These responsibilities are representative of expectations for an engineer that is proficient in this role and at the Senior Engineer level. Professional development will be provided, as needed, to achieve these expectations.
- Leading expert on interpretation of equipment test results and trending
- Coordinate and may provide training for field crews of specialized test equipment
- Provide feedback on specialized test equipment procurement and first time equipment deployment
- Assist in material selection for maintenance repairs and spare parts inventory
- Recommend proactive maintenance tasks for Transformer and Regulator equipment, indicating recurring problems
- Support generation plant outages or specific plant projects, including yearly maintenance plans
- Perform forensic evaluations and root cause analysis for failed equipment
- Perform substation and equipment condition assessments
- Evaluate the performance and reliability of Transformer and Regulator assets and identify and provide recommendations regarding system and/or equipment issues that may impact system reliability
- Support Energy Delivery Engineering, Generation, and management with commissioning and maintenance program development, prioritization of work, maintenance basis and equipment specifications
- Establish working relationships with industry organizations and counterparts within other utilities to learn about industry trends/practices and to share information regarding equipment and maintenance initiatives
- Act as a representative for Team Manager to major internal and external customers in forums to resolve operational problems and improve business processes.
- Act as company representative for product manufacturer visits and witness testing
- Leads and/or makes positive, supportive contributions on teams that deal with sophisticated technical or operational problems.
- Proactively provides guidance to less experienced staff members; may mentor new employees or interns. Has established effective working relationships with employees, contractors, customers, functional groups, and internal and external peers. Explains technical problems to internal stakeholders and accurately prepares detailed documents such as technical studies, project documentation for future reference, etc.
- This position requires a four year degree from an accredited college or university, within an engineering program that is accredited through the Engineering Accreditation Commission.
- 2+ years of related experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Project management leadership experience preferred, along with ability to deal with subcontractors and cross-functional teams; may have expertise in a particular area of the discipline.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer software programs (e.g., e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, and project management).
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment.
Applications will be accepted until a qualified pool of candidates is received.
Alliant Energy is committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been crafted to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not crafted to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees specified to this job.