Transformer blunder affects 27 Saskatoon homes
Canada, Saskatchewan: An improperly installed transformer caused a damaging power surge to 27 Saskatoon homes in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan.
During a transformer upgrade, 27 homes experienced wide ranging damage to their furnaces and home devices, which were all fried due to an improper installation of the unit, reports Saskatoon Star Phoenix.
“The power came on with extravagant pyrotechnics,” one of the affected witnesses said. The furnace in his home started to spit flames and give out a sound like a booming drum.
Trevor Bell, director of Saskatoon Light and Power, said the incident happened during a transformer upgrade when in the process of energizing the new device something went wrong.
“It turns out we had improperly installed the transformer and we were actually giving more voltage to the house than we should have been doing,” Bell said.
Source: Saskatoon Star Phoenix