Massive fire caused by faulty transformer engulfs substation in NY

USA, New York: A massive fire caused by a faulty transformer has engulfed a power substation in Hillburn, New York.

Officials say a faulty transformer ignited the fire at the plant at 333 Torne Valley Rd, Hudson Valles News.

Fire fighters allowed the fire to burn through 190,000 litres of mineral oil to prevent it from seeping into a nearby stream that could have then contaminated the Ramapo River, which supplies drinking water to millions of people.

The inspection and repair of the faulty transformer will commence after the fire crews have extinguished all hot spots.

Source: Hudson Valles News