00d9b1e39f02d57be65ad2a9a6eaa3b8

Smoking transformer causes power shutdown for 22 customers in Pottstown

A smoking transformer was shut down by PECO on the 27th October, Sunday afternoon in Pottstown, Philadelphia. The power was temporarily cut to some customers in the area of the 300 block of Evans Street.

According to PECO communications manager Ben Armstrong, 22 customers lost power when the company “proactively shut down service” around 2:45 p.m.

According to Armstrong, PECO got a call from the Pottstown Fire Department regarding the smoke coming from the transformer but they weren’t aware of the cause. About 4 p.m. on Sunday a team was on the way to replace the faulty transformer.

Armstrong said: “It’s fully expected that they would have service (Sunday night), as long as there’s nothing else going on.” He also said that transformer issues “tend to be very isolated” and “anywhere from 10 to 20 to 25 customers are traditionally serviced by the transformers.”

To keep traffic away from the scene, Pottstown Fire Police closed Evans Street at Jefferson Street around 2 p.m and extended yellow tape across the street.

By late afternoon, the issue was kept under control and the fire police were recalled.

Source: The Mercury