Abu Dhabi

Solar bid opening postponed due to coronavirus precautions

UAE, Abu Dhabi: The planned public opening of commercial tariffs for the planned 1.5 GW Al-Dhafra photovoltaic (PV) solar project has been postponed due to the precautions being undertaken for the coronavirus.

Energy & Utilities had previously reported that the client, Emirates Water & Electricity Company (Ewec) was preparing to open proposals during a public read-out on 18 March. However, bidders have been notified that this has been postponed due to the requirement to avoid public gatherings as a result of coronavirus outbreak, according to sources close to the project.

Bidders had submitted revised proposals on 1 March, after the five groups had submitted original proposals on 21 November.

According to sources close to the project, the revised proposals included significant additional information and clarifications for the planned Al-Dhafra IPP, the emirate’s second major PV solar project.

The five bidders submitted revised proposals on 1 March, according to sources close to the project.

The following five bidders had submitted original proposals on 21 November: Acwa Power / Shanghai Electric, EDF / Jinko Power, Engie / AlFanar, Softbank Energy / Eni, and Total / Marubeni.

The project will involve the financing, construction, operation and maintenance of the solar plant under a long-term power purchase agreement. The successful developer will form a special-purpose vehicle (SPV) company in partnership with Ewec. The successful developer will own up to 40 % of the SPV, with the Abu Dhabi government to hold the remaining 60 % stake.

The project will be Abu Dhabi’s second major PV solar scheme.