Image source: T&D India

Tata Power takes over operations of WESCO And SOUTHCO

India, Odisha, Bhubaneswar: WESCO and SOUTHCO will operate as TP Western Odisha Distribution Ltd (TPWODL) and TP Southern Odisha Distribution Ltd (TPSODL) respectively.

Commenting on this occasion Mr Praveer Sinha, CEO & MD, Tata Power said, “It is a proud moment for us as we have ushered in the new year by commencing operations in WESCO and SOUTHCO in State of Odisha. We are committed to provide reliable, affordable and quality power supply along with superior customer service. We are thankful to the Odisha Government and OERC for giving us this opportunity and reaffirm Tata Power’s commitment of ‘Lighting up Lives’ for the people of Odisha.”

Tata Power will retain all the existing employees of WESCO and SOUTHCO, and it aims to create a successful PPP model in power sector.

As per order issued by the Odisha Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC), Tata Power holds 51 % of equity with management control and the state-owned GRIDCO will have the remaining 49 %.

TPWODL shall now be responsible for the distribution and retail supply of electricity covering 2 million consumers with annual input energy of 7520 GWh, while TPSODL will be responsible for the distribution covering 2.3 million consumers with average energy input of 3470 GWh and retail supply of electricity.

With the inclusion of two additional distribution utilities, Tata Power expands its consumer base to 9.5 million from the present base of 5.2 million.

It may be recalled that in June 2020, Tata Power similarly took over the management of CESU, a power distribution utility catering to central Odisha.

 

Source: T&D India

Related News